Sunday, November 04, 2007

Lots to report on!

After 3 days exhibiting and doing my presentation - the only woman on a panel of 8 men - the conference has now finished. We packed up our booth at lunch time and dropped it back off at the hotel. I feel that it wasn't as busy as when I went to Phoenix a few years ago, but I've done some networking and might be in for a job as project manager for a translation company here in San Fran if I can get my visa sorted! I've told Stu to enquire with his company about a country transfer. I was strolling to the exhibition this morning and decided I could quite happily live here for a year or so. It's weird how this city feels like a big village. Although this is America and everything is twice as big as in Europe, this city gives me a very cosy and homey feeling.

I'm still amazed by the mix of architecture in this city. There's skyscrapers next to brick buildings, old next to new, modern style next to typical San Francisco style. I'm sure J.K. Rowling got some inspiration in this city as banks here look a lot like Gringotts Wizarding Bank, I'm half expecting Goblins to walk out any minute.


Olga decided to have a nap when we got back to the hotel, so I headed out on my own this afternoon, which was brilliant. I like being on my own when discovering a new city and as they say, the best way to do this is to get lots; if it weren't for my amazing (amazing?!) navigation and orientating skills. Basically, I have huge issues getting lost. I decided to get lunch at Taco Bell - oh well - and to sit myself down near the waterfront overlooking the bay.

I studied my Lonely Planet guide and decided to start hiking - which is to be taken quite literally in this city. I followed some off the beaten track routes and ended up in some very cool neighbourhoods. One of the nice things was seeing the publisher's house and bookstore (Jeez - did I just use the word store?) which originally published some of the Beat Generation's work, including Howl. Went in the bookSHOP's poetry corner where lots of pictures of Kerouac and Ginsberg were hanging on the wall. Never knew Albers' lectures would get me this excited. At some point during the walk, the guide said, now look to your right. I'll tell you... the picture isn't half as good as what I saw for real. This city is simply breathtaking.

The next walk took me through Chinatown and this is probably my favourite part of the afternoon! As soon as you enter the Chinese gates, the sweet and sour chicken flied lice smell hits you around the ears. If I wouldn't have known better, I could have been in Beijing. Not one tourist in sight. At this point, I was getting quite thirsty and thought I'd go for a cup of tea somewhere. I walked into a shop with lots and lots and LOTS of pots filled with tea leaves and asked for a cup of tea. I was told 'we don't do tea' - erh... - 'we do tea tasting'. Even better! (Tessa, you were in my mind the entire time I was here!!) If you ever get to SF, this is the place to be for the ultimate tea tasting experience!!! I met an American couple who sat next to me and we enjoyed the hour of tea tasting together. We got to try about 15 different teas and were given a 5 minute explanation about the tea and what effect it has on your insides. Loved every minute of it! I bought some tea leaves - and yes, Tessa, start saving up for a bulk buy by the time you get here, they have over 150 different teas specially imported from China, some even 25 years old. It was about 7pm by the time I left the tea shop. Had some more strolling through town, spent an hour in Borders, as you do, and headed back to the hotel where I'm sitting now. Tonight is my last night in the hotel and I'm moving to a Youth Hostel for the next 2 nights before I take the train to Chicago. I'm not sure if I will have internet at the YH, so in case I don't, I'll update you when I'm at Rose's.


As the last picture of this post, I thought I'd share my utter amazement when I saw this in Bloomingdale's shopping centre yesterday. When the Americans do something right, they do it brilliantly! A bending escalator... how's that for geniousness?!

No comments: