Friday, November 02, 2007

Day II – San Francisco

I’m still totally mesmerised by this city. (Noticed the totally?!) Two days and that’s what America does to me! Walking down the big shopping street this morning to the exhibition I bumped into so many newspaper boxes and people. You just have to look up and admire the architecture. Beautiful.

Things I forget about America:

  • Taco Bell – Hurrah for Mexican junk food. Had to email Carrie this morning to ask what I usually eat there so I could go and get some at lunch time. There’s one just across from the exhibition – it must be faith!
  • Toilets – Ever sat on an American toilet? It’s an experience. I always forget how you hardly have any privacy in a cubicle as the doors only start at 2 feet height and there’s always a gap between the door and the cubicle, large enough for somebody to look through. And then of course, there’s enough water in the toilet bowl to have an afternoon swim.
  • How when you ask for water (think British), they look at you as if you come from another planet
  • Starbucks on literally every corner
  • You have a great day!

Had our first day at the exhibition and I'm exhausted. I'm glad I made the executive decision to wear my comfortable (read Nike) shoes, cuz even with those on, my feet are killing me. I talked non-stop today and my tongue is feeling slightly numb. What I hate most is people who come up to you and ask you 1000 things and you just know it won't lead to anything. Stop wasting my freaking time! Back at the hotel now and I'm too tired to do anything, I think the jet lag might be playing catch-up with me after all. Going to watch some tv, read a bit in my book (started reading Ewan McGregor's Long way round as part of my travel adventure) and fall asleep like a baby. Need to give a presentation in front of 500 people tomorrow so am feeling slightly nervous. Just picture them naked.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Now I can't stop picturing Ewan McGregor naked... (nothing to be ashamed of!)

En wanneer kom je nog eens naar België? De hele crew van de administratieve dienst op het HIVT moet echt dringend op z'n plaats gezet worden, want ze beginnen weer streken te verkopen.

***
Mademoiselle Chanel (jaja, je weet wel wie!)

Anonymous said...

May I just add that you cannot see through the gaps of the toilet stall unless you were to put your eye right up to the crack!!

Lotte said...

If I sit on the loo and I can see the people queueing, surely it must work the other way around!!