Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Bookworm

First of all, there are more Go Ape pictures from Dan this time. (I find wearing one of those harnesses quite sexy for some reason?!)

Went into work this morning as the Boss Man had organised a meeting to resolve the issues we're having in the office. Since our team has been joined by a new member of staff, the general atmosphere hasn't been great. We were all affected by moodiness, grumpiness and miserableness - as if regular PMT isn't bad enough! I won't go into details but it basically meant that I wasn't looking forward going into work anymore... We had an 1 1/2 hour meeting which was productive but still left me feeling not 100% happy, which is something I need to sort out myself now. And really believe things will change.

Going to Mary's book club tonight. She's organising a 'book swap' club where you each take 3 books you don't want anymore and you swap them for 3 new ones which other people bring along. That way, you recycle your old books and end up with 3 new and free books. I like it. I'm currently staring at my library wall, having debates with myself which books I want to get rid of. On top of my list is probably my Russian>Dutch dictionary (but I doubt anyone would be interested), also having trouble deciding on Donna Tart's Little Friend - I still haven't finished it and not sure if I ever will... (it's weird how I LOVED her Secret History but hated this one!)

Top 5 of unfinished books:
  • Perfume (Patrick Suskind) - details annoyed me beyond belief
  • Brick Lane (Monica Ali) - far too slow
  • Sophie's world (Jostein Gaarder) - philosophy at an early age is never good
  • The constant gardener (John le Carre) - talking about descriptive text
  • How to be good (Nick Hornby) - sad, depressing, downright bipolar

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heb jij de wereld van Sofie in het Nederlands ?? Want die wil ik wel !

En "het parfum" is magistraal, moet je toch echt uitlezen hoor!

Groetjes,

Kurt

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with the guy above. Perfume is FANTASTIC! Had the same issues with 'Wereld van Sofie' .... But you might be right about the age-thing on that one. Maybe I should start again.

Secret history is MY ALL TIME FAVORITE. Did not get a chance to read the friend-one. But I did not hear good things.

The constant gardener : don't know, saw the movie and that wasn't bad.

Nick Hornsby : I read something with '30' in the title and thought that was quite hilarious. But apparently ... no all his books are in that fashion!

Thanks for the e-mail, I'll be more elaborate about the new job SOON (starting 5th of November).

And euhm ... not that it's any of my business, Keep up the good 'work' ;)

Looking forward to seeing you guys for New Years!

F²M said...

hey chica, the main thing i wanted to say (my bookwise wurminess is rather limited..) is: VILKOMMEN ja ja!! lovely to hear you ve been so busy, not so lovely is obviously your twinshy thoughts about work and its people.. that ll sort itself out soon i m sure!!
by the by: even the movie perfume was mucho lyrically ellaborate.. still nice though.. but een fameus appeltje to bite through!

SarahVdc said...

You selling the History of Russia, by any chance?
xXx..