Monday, October 08, 2007

Accountant to be
I promised myself never to translate anything too financially complicated again after my disaster two weeks ago. I was asked to translate an Annual Account - how hard could that be? With the European Terminology Database helping me out, and Wikipedia trying to explain some (most) of the content, I started off in good spirit. Two days later, I was having tantrums and fits. Luckily Lin, who came 4th in the World (!!) on the international accountancy exam, was there to help. I felt a lot more relieved delivering, what turned out to be, a good translation...

What did I do on Friday? I accepted another disaster!! (I was tricked into it!) This time I'm translating a Statutory Report (what? Precisely.) After sitting behind my pc for 4 hours this morning, I had the most genius idea that surely somebody must have translated this type of form (30 pages!) before. And yahaaa, I not only found 1 but 2 translations of the identical document. Translating has become a lot easier all of a sudden...

Haike is coming around tonight for her weekly Dutch lesson. I'm so proud of her, cuz with quite bad dyslexia, it isn't straight forward learning another language... Stu sticks his head through the door from time to time with comments like 'that's not the way you pronounce that' or 'don't you know the word for that?' - big mouth. It does amaze me how much he knows though.

No comments: