Friday, July 20, 2007

Torrential downpour

Drove to work this morning although it looked like the evening was falling. By the time I got to work, the skies opened and rain came out like I've never seen it. Not even in Florida. It was absolutely pitch black outside, lightning flashing through the skies and a curtain of rain stopped you from looking 2 metres in the distance. As a result all the manholes started spitting out water and the office car park started to flood. After 15 minutes of absolutely chucking it down and no end to it in sight, people from other offices decided to move their cars as their exhaust pipes had disappeared under water! A foot of water in 15 minutes, it must have been some form of record I'm sure.

Luckily I drove to work in Beast which is a metre of the ground. Stu surgically implanted a new heart - read battery - yesterday and he's running smoothly again.

Went to the doctors this morning to get my back checked out. I'm still suffering from rather painful aches due to being stuck in the same position for over a month trying to finish my degree. I really do look like an old lady waking up in the morning. Doctor prescribed me physio. Jeej for getting free massages on the NHS. Boo for probably having to wait 2 months before I can get an appointment.

Went to the Star in Old Heathfield yesterday to celebrate our 5th Anniversary. The Star has been my absolute favourite pub in England because of its cosiness (the ceilings are that low, Stu needs to duck when he enters), the food (wicked chef and brilliant menu - written on the wall btw) and atmosphere (it has 2 big fire places you can sit in).

Got there and the menus on the wall were gone, were replaced with paper menus (now who would do such a thing!?) and many of the cute wonky tables had disappeared as well. Turns out they changed owners, have a new chef and changed the menu entirely. The lasagna I'd been looking forward to, for the last 4 months probably, wasn't on the menu any longer! WHAT?! Nor did they do the scampi and chips anymore. Stu and I told the 16 year old waitress we were thinking of heading home again. She wasn't quite sure what to make of it. She did come back however telling me the chef would do me scampi & chips if I wanted to. Yes please. Stu got the T-bone steak which was done and not medium rare, and our chips were Mc Donald's chips and not home made ones. Poo-hoo. Last time we went there. (they've got a lovely beer garden though, perhaps we should just drink there instead)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats with the anniversary!