Thursday, January 18, 2007


New Year's reception

As all Wednesday evenings I went to choir practise. Last night was a special event however as we had the annual general meeting plus election of the committee (all very formal) and a little drink with nibbles afterwards. Nothing out of the ordinary, was it not for the fact that we had our little get together on the 26th floor of den Boerentoren. The Farmer's tower is the second tallest building in Antwerp, after the Cathedral. The tower is now owned by a bank and because the chairman of our choir is some big manager with the bank, he arranged our reception there. The tower is about 75 years old, was built in Art Deco style and was the tallest building in Europe for a long time. And if I thought the building in itself was brilliant, I hadn't even seen the views at the point... The 26th floor is basically a room with glass windows on all 4 sides, giving you this 360 degree view. As it was dark, the entire city was lit with lovely lights everywhere. The harbour in the far distance was one big light bulb and the river was nearly invisible; you could only make out this big black meandering snake. It was gorgious and I was very pleased I was given the opportunity to see my city from above with a glass of champagne in hand.

My exam yesterday went really well, couldn't have wished for it to go better. I'm currently working on my paper for my English Culture course. I decided a while back to write about the British attitude towards using expletives, but it was only yesterday I sent out an email to a bunch of people asking if they wanted to participate in my little survey. I've been receiving emails all day and the results are pretty interesting. Once I finish my paper, I'll post a link so it's readily available to check it out.


Have been studying hard today. Julie came over to study which helps the peer pressure immensely!! I know I probably would have taken a break or two or phaffed around for a while today, but instead I was well focussed - because Julie looked so focussed. Perhaps she was thinking the same thing of me... Oh well, it's all beneficial and paid off!! All my work I'd planned is done. So for the rest of the evening it's going to be me, Dr. Oetker and Judge John Deed.




No comments: