Sunday, January 14, 2007

Back in Belgium

I tried very hard to study on the (many) trains I had to take home today but didn't manage to focus for longer than 1 minute. On the train from Tunbridge Wells to London an Indian family joined me on the train. Their 2 year old son sat opposite me and had the most beautiful big chestnut-browny eyes. He was staring longingly at my pencil case which is rammed with coloured pens and pencils. (I had all my stuff spread over the table - you see, I was making an attempt) I asked the little boy if he wanted to produce some art on the white sides of my syllabus. He looked at me rather confused. Only when I gave him my 4-colours-in-1-pencil, he understood where I was going and gladly took it of me. I now have a beautiful and colourful scribble in my syllabus. I told his mother he was going to be a heartbreaker with those eyes and the cheeky smile. She agreed.

On the Eurostar I had a snoring Dutch man sitting next to me which didn't help my concentration either. I then made the quick decision that trying to study amongst a bunch of loud mobile users (and snorers) was only going to make me more agitated and therefore I was going to finish off reading Memoires of a Geisha. I absolutely love the book and highly recommend it to anyone. (even the ones who aren't into eastern stories like me) I read and read and read and arrived in Brussels and read and got on a train to Antwerp and read some more. And right when I got into Antwerp, right at that moment in time when I had to get off the train (or I would've ended up in Amsterdam) right then, I only had one more page to read!!! How's that for an anti-climax!?!?

Trying to study again now but seriously can't focus on this. It looks like Translation Studies and Philosophy have a lot more in common than I first thought... Think I might have a long soaking bath with a sneeky episode of Spooks on the laptop (next to the bath). Will retire for the evening and give it another go tomorrow morning!

No comments: