Sunday, November 11, 2007

Madison

I got to Rose's on Thursday evening and immediately went for a drink at the Student Union. Rose is my age and is in her final PhD year Micro Biological Something Something (it's not like I'm not paying any attention, it's just impossible for my pea size intellect brain to comprehend the subject). Madison, the capital of the state Wisconsin, is one of those place where the majority of people walking on the streets are 25 or younger as literally everybody is a student. And although Madison is the capital, it's about as big as Tunbridge Wells. Most of the centre consists of university faculties and studenty bars. I immediately felt at home.

As Rose had to work on Friday, 'do science', I walked around town, visited the Capitol and did some window shopping. The city centre is based on an Isthmus - I had never heard of this word before, but it's basically a strip of land that divides 2 lakes. It's beautiful up here! Water everywhere, lovely houses, nice neighbourhoods, I feel at home here. Rose's flat is cool - it reminds me a little of Bridget Jones' flat, funny layout. It's in the roof of a house and so the living room has slopey ceilings and about 16 corners. Her bedroom looks out over this amazing lake!

After Rose was done working, I walked to the Microbiological faculty - trying to find this building on the campus was like participating in a Scavenger Hunt. I then got to see her laboratory and also got to 'do some science'. We played with dry ice - the thing you see in films with all the white smoke coming out of test tubes - and I got to dress up as a scientist! (note: this is not what Rose looks like when she's working!)

Today Rose toke me to this fantastic brunch place which looked like you sat in somebodies living room eating an omelet. They shout out your name when your food is done, so we gave them my unpronounceable name, which was quite funny when it was our go. After brunch we went to a Scrapbook Store, as I'm now fully ready to start with my new hobby when I get back home. I'm loving the weakness of the $dollar$ - perhaps I haven't said that enough yet - everything is 50% cheaper here for me!!

We then got some take-away tea and went for a walk in the arboretum. Although it's mighty cold here, it was lovely to be outside and get some fresh air in my brains. I'm wearing 4 layers of jumpers when I'm out and that seems to be doing the trick fine so far!


Tomorrow Rose and I are driving down to Chicago, where we will stay the night in a YH. As my train to D.C. doesn't leave until 7pm on Monday, we get to hang out for another 2 days. Tonight we decided to get pizza, Ben & Jerry's, Pride and Prejudice and a big ass duvet to snuggle up in in front of tv. Aaah, girly evenings rule.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awwwww!!!

Bram said...

Lovely picture in the lab! You definitely missed a great career in bio modeling.